historic mark, AUGUST 27TH, 1837 marks the departure of the
first train from "l'Embarcadère", from Saint-Lazare train
station to Saint-Germain. The district Saint-Lazare was then
the Suburb, almost the countryside … With the success of the
railroad, the station went from its embryonic state of 1845
on the Bridge of Europe, to its phase of construction, from1869
to 1889, in its current place.
was built completely from 1865, and in 1895, it already appeared
almost under its contemporary aspect. 1862-1867, construction
of the Church Saint-Augustin by BALTARD.
then in full expansion, develops itself very fast. Business
is done there, and fortunes are built. The House MOLLARD had
at once a considerable success. Thirty years after his arrival,
Mister MOLLARD had earned enough money to begin considerable
works and realize in a modern style the most beautiful establishment
In 1895, the House MOLLARD created the event by becoming the
most smart restaurant, and the meeting point of the most sharp
big luxury, in the most modern district from all Paris. GIL
BLAZ announced the opening of MOLLARD in 1895.
14-18 war started. The House MOLLARD saws it's customers leaving.
From 1918-1919, the business fell asleep little by little
… In 1928, MOLLARD was acquired by the family GAUTHIER, and
from 1930 till 1934, the Establishment crossed the crisis
as all the businesses of this period, it was the development
of the "Front Populaire" and the walking towards the war.
The war 39-40 changed hardly the activity, but on the other
hand, under the Occupation, the establishment allowed many
local residents to survive in the shortage; every day the
queue lengthened in front of the door.
the business life began again, and the post-war clientele
of MOLLARD consisted essentially of "Rouennais"
and "Havrai"s who, taking back their Parisian business,
because of the shortage of offices, held their meetings at
MOLLARD. Two days a week, they received the suppliers in the
morning and their customers in the afternoon, around aperitifs.
MOLLARD became the meeting point of the big of the business,
the "Office". The consumption of aperitifs achieves up to
50 000 litters in 1949 …
In 1952-1953, the constructions of offices starting again
little by little, this clientele found offices and rarefied.
MOLLARD became again a full restaurant and even attracted
all Paris with its formula of the Omelette Surprise: everything
was served on the table for a 10-franc sum. This idea seduced
without any trouble the Parisians who still kept the bad memories
of so many years of scarcity, especially since one of the
only pleasures at that time was the food. The formula lasted
till the end of the 60s, and assured an incredible success
to the House MOLLARD. Then, little by little, this district
essentially of houses and thus livened up in the evening,
changed in 65-70, and was rather transformed into a business
district, but also with shows in the evening.